Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A week of firsts

Elliott Day Jones, born at 4:02 AM on May 9th, 2011
Weight: 7 pounds, 8 ounces; Length: 21 inches

Hello family and friends (and possibly a few random stalkers or internet peddlers until we password protect the site) to Elliott's first blog. We've decided to create a blog not because we are particularly gifted or clever writers, and not because our kiddo is the cutest kid ever, but because we want to keep our friends and family updated and involved in his life.
Ok, I lied! It is because he is the cutest kid ever. As proof, Elliott's first photo:

Ok, I lied again. That photo was not the first, but it is so adorable I wanted to post it first. Here are some earlier shots:
Getting warmed up and stimulated after scaring me with Apgars of 5/8, but after a little foot tickling he was up to 10. Whew.

Having skin/skin time with Mommy in the NICU. After about 12 hours on the monitors he was able to move in with us for the night.
Look at his cute alien head. It's amazing what both our bodies did to get to this point. Fortunately, his head is now perfectly shaped.

Photos with Mommy and Daddy:
Elliott is the first newborn (or any infant under 6 months) that Chris has held. Doesn't he look like a natural?

Elliott's first visitor, Uncle Nathan:


First clothes:
















Getting ready for the first car trip. Destination: home





So much cuteness!















He waves his arms up and down. We pretend it is intentional. He's a genius!













He only likes to open one eye at a time...















"yawn, I'm tired of this hospital"











When we got him home, we both kinda looked at each other and thought, "so, now what do we do?" I hear this is a common new parent thought upon getting their baby home. Here are some photos of what we have been doing:



I left out photos of the other activity we've been doing for 12 hours a day, breastfeeding. :)
Elliott will sleep for hours on laps or chests or in his swing, car seat, sling, or carrier. What you will not see in this sleep montage is a photo of him sleeping in a crib. Chris and I have made an experiment of sorts to see what might help him sleep in a crib. So far, the experiment has failed. I'm sure you'll hear more about this later....from my sleep deprived state.

A few more firsts to round out the post:

Grandma Carren visited (with Aunt Sunny), and I must have been too tired/excited to remember to take pictures of them. This is the only photo I snapped of my Mom. Elliott is wearing the cute/dorky layette she made for him.
My first time breastfeeding in public. My Mom seemed a little nervous and said, "maybe a cover that is a little more subtle would be better" I don't mind.
Chris doing the first night shift so I could get a nap. He was figuring out how best to eat dinner without dropping food on Elliott. First walk around Greenlake. Well, his first walk outside the womb.
Hanging out with Daddy in the Ergo carrier:
Chris's 30th Birthday and Elliott's one week birthday. For the last month whenever I asked Chris what he wanted for his birthday, he said, "a baby." Wish granted!

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! so much adorableness! i especially love the photo of chris eating with a baby on his lap. maybe because we did this too... there may or may not have been an incident in which one baby got an enchilada sauce facial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of Elliott smiling in the car seat on the way home.
    I still drop food on Kyle...oops. He doesnt mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) This pretty much rocks. Now I can keep tabs on my nephew from afar. Can't wait to meet him!! I've been DYING to know his birth stats! I should have asked you the other day on the phone..shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Summer! What great photos and a beautiful baby boy you have!

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As requested, the birth stats:
    Born on May 9th, 4:02 AM after 24 hours of labor
    Length: 21 inches
    Weight: 7 pounds, 8 ounces

    ReplyDelete